Monday 27 January 2014

Phone with an attitude

The first thing I changed on my phone was its welcome message. When I turned it on, the piece of plastic had the audacity to call itself my 'life companion'.

Ehm... No. You're a phone. My life companion happens to be the most wonderful guy in the whole world. And I'm not just typing that because he's sitting right next to me. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Ask anyone who knows me: I'm nowhere near as hooked on my mobile phone as my previous blogs may suggest. I find them useful pieces of technology, but I seriously wish the world would see them as just that and nothing more. Ever since the damn things were invented, people seem to think they need to be 'in touch' 24/7. When I look around me, they're everywhere: in the supermarket I hear people chatter into thin air about how they're walking in the supermarket (the receiver must really have no life whatsoever if they find that interesting?!), I see them sit in silence across the table in a restaurant, typing frantically at their screen without as much as communicate with the other person(s) present, heck, at work I even hear them blabbing away in the bloody toilet! And at the average birthday party every exciting story is met with "Oh yeah, read that on your Facebook page". Meaning there's nothing left to talk about.

What happened to this world that everything's become so shallow and so superficial? I'm glad I have real friends and entertain real relationships with them, as well as with my better half. Should ever the day come that I sit opposite him in a restaurant, completely ignoring him and only having eyes for the screen of my mobile, then I hope he has the common sense to slap me. Hard.

So I put my phone in its place and stripped it from the pretence of being my life companion. It now speaks gnomish upon startup:


No comments:

Post a Comment