Thursday 9 January 2014

Patience is a virtue!

But I'll be the first to admit it's a virtue I don't have.

I'm more of an 'I want it now' girl. (Still miss you, Freddie!)


Or an 'are we there yet' gnome.


As a kid, I couldn't imagine ever growing up, because every year it took forever til my birthday. In hindsight, the 'growing up' thing didn't really work out anyway, so maybe it was a sign. The good thing is, it gives you an excuse for staying 29 for a long, long time!

If the saying 'anything worth having is worth waiting for' is anything to go by, then my new phone is going to be super duper awesome. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to mobile phones, social media and stuff, I'm not exactly an Innovator. Not even an Early adopter. Or a member of the Early or even Late Majority. I'm a Laggard. And proud of it.


If it were up to me, I'd still be using my old Nokia 6600 quite happily.


I renewed my subscription with my provider several times, and each time I picked a new phone, only to leave it to gather dust in its box or give it away and continue using the old one. The 6600 was awesome. It had a color display, mp3 ringtones, a camera AND internet, so I was a mobile surfer before before it became a widespread phenomenon.* Oh, and it made phone calls too! I was lightyears ahead of the rest. That phone was totally cool, and so was I, once upon a time.
*Not that there were any sites accommodating viewing in a small screen in those days and downloading information took forever and cost a fortune, but that's totally beside the point.

I kind of like gadgets. Not that I ever use them to their full potential, but I like fiddling around with them. Knowing that if I chose to do so, I'd have access to a zillion options. But in the end of the day I never take the time or the trouble to properly familiarize myself with it, meaning I end up not using half the stuff that's on there and pretty much continue the current status quo. Which is buying a state-of-the art phone and hardly use it. 
This has a major drawback. The phones I got were awesome, but they weren't mainstream. In itself that's not a bad thing at all, as I pride myself in being unique. The downside is that when you have an utterly practical phone that's unpopular with the masses, there's no accessories! So, after 15 years of being unique yet blingless, I couldn't take it anymore. What kind of gnome was I without shinies on my phone?? I wanted pretty covers and stuffs too!


Luckily, pretty much *any* smartphone these days offers more gizmo's, thingamabobs and whatchamacallits than I can handle, so all I had to worry about this time was 'does it come with cool covers?' The answer is: yes, it does. So the phone's not even on its way yet, but just buying was enough of an excuse to order some shiny covers. And a sparkly anti-dust plug (another word I didn't know until recently). And even a storage box:



After all, we're organised!


Now all there's left to do, is wait for the damn thing to actually get here. Which is taking forever. As usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment