Monday 28 April 2014

Care Kitten Couldn't Conquer Kidney Collapse

The happiness from the happiest nom ever was short-lived. We were delighted that Muffy had finally overcome her teeth problem and the subsequent infection, when all of a sudden her kidneys gave in. Just like that. Before the operation to remove her teeth, she'd had a full blood exam which showed no signs of any problems whatsoever, and then last week things started going downhill again. We were so sure that it was still the aftermath of the infection, but no: total kidney failure. We got to take her home over the weekend to spoil her rotten for just a few more days, but today she made it very clear that according to her the fight was over. So what could we do, except oblige?

This one hurts even more than the previous ones: not only because of the rapid nature of the disease and barely having time to say goodbye, but she was the one who would look after me when I was sick or miserable. She'd lie on my bed to keep me warm and comfortable, occasionally checking if I was still breathing. She wouldn't leave my side until I was well again. And now I couldn't do the same for her. I'm so sorry, Muffy...


This one's not just for Muffy, but also for Tijger, Poekie, Gijs and Belle:

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as we are called one by one,
the chain will link again.

No comments:

Post a Comment