Sunday 4 January 2015

The pitter-patter of little feet

No, this is not a pregnancy announcement. It's a story about seachickens. Not a very long story, but still. I grew up far from the shore, meaning that seachickens were quite rare in our village. So when I moved to my current home, I was quite unfamiliar with their sounds and habits. Occasionally I saw them on the sides of the road, trampling the grass as if they were tapdancing before an invisible audience.


Better half explained to me why they did this: the worms in the ground confuse the vibrations caused by the chickens feet with falling raindrops. This makes them crawl upwards and if the chicken is lucky, the slippery little bastards will poke their heads out of the ground and end up in its stomach. So there it was in the morning sun, trampling as fast as it could. I guess the early bird does get the worm!

No comments:

Post a Comment