Thursday 10 July 2014

Pretty clouds

Maybe it's because we are so tiny and therefore not only very grounded but also extremely close to the ground, but gnomes tend to love clouds. As sister Agnes would say:


Today the sky was adorned with some of the prettiest clouds I have ever seen. I tried to capture them in all their stunningness, but they were quite far away and the fact that we were speeding down the highway in Perry didn't help much either.

Anyway, there was this absolutely beautiful cauliflower cloud, which was pretty much an entire landscape of its own:



And there was a humongous cloud on the other side as well:


I'll happily admit to watching movies and series, so it's probably a bit too much Independence Day, but I swear, there was a UFO hiding in there!!


And the bit on the right contains a lovely topping of lenticular clouds.


I don't believe I'd ever seen those before, but the thing is, you usually don't notice these things until you actually find out about their existence. I came across the phenomenon lenticular cloud when I was looking for the name of a mindbogglingly odd cloud I came across when I was in Denmark:


It turned out this particular formation is called a Kelvin-Helholtz formation. Which was of course immediately added to the Gnomish Dictionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment